Thursday, April 6, 2017

UPDATE! + Herr Kandah is a boss at Lost Cities!

Firstly, I (Jane) would like to offer my apologies for not updating the website in several months. We have had a few meetings since the last one posted, although we also had to cancel a few. I don’t think we actually had any meetings in January or February. In the time since I last posted, our president, Max, has gotten a job and so has not been free to organize meetings. I also haven’t heard from Nina in a while. Therefore, despite the wish to be president Nina expressed when we had board elections at the beginning of the year, I have (somewhat) humbly acceded the throne as acting president of Board Game Club. I’m in charge of sending out Reminds about meetings now.

 Since then, I have organized a few meetings with other clubs. The joint meeting with Gamer's club on December 5th was rather a success; although only one Board Game Club member (shoutout to Zoe R.) attended, everyone from Gamer's club was there, and they appreciated the board games we brought.

If you've been checking the Remind, we also had a joint meeting with Japanese club on Thursday, March 30th in Mrs. Fawcett’s room, 601. Her classroom is actually just up the hall from Herr Kandah’s room. Unfortunately, I was the only one there to represent Board Game Club (come on you guys!) but I taught someone how to play Shōgi, which is basically the Japanese version of chess. It is only slightly different and just as much fun. I also brought a couple of decks of anime-themed playing cards which the other members of Japanese club had fun with. Origami paper and instructions were available, and we ate Japanese candy (pocky and hi-chew, to be specific).

Our last meeting was Monday, April 2nd, and despite my efforts to send out Remind messages about meetings, I was the only one who came. RIP Board Game Club? At least Herr Kandah and I had the opportunity to duke it out in the card game for two, Lost Cities. Basically each player gets 8 cards and has to try to get the most points in each color category, which are different lands. Because you have to account for the “cost” of the trip, your total for each color is subtracted by 20, so it is possible to get negative points, like I did. Multiple times. We played three intense rounds, and in each he beat me by a long shot. Herr Kandah’s glory lives on!

In other news, we still need to figure out who’s gonna run the club next year since Max and I are graduating, so watch the Remind for a board election meeting near the end of the year! Our next meeting will be Monday, April 17th in Herr Kandah’s room, as usual. Have a good spring break board gamers!

No comments:

Post a Comment